Thursday, March 24, 2011

Relishing Small Pleasures

Life is not lived in days, but in moments, moments that are captured forever in one's mind.  Moments shared  between two people withstand time, distance, and circumstances.  Nature, for me, has the same effect.  Some miss those small perfect moments; they pass by unnoticed, leaving them none the wiser.  Those moments are so rare, so special, and perhaps only once in a lifetime.

I have been so blessed to have experienced so many moments.  Breath-taking, awe-inspiring moments.  Once, while in Florida, I stopped at a small orange grove.  The sign was advertising "Oranges for Sale".  This woman,in her 60's or 70's came out.  The sun was warm that day, meltingly, deliciously warm, just bordering on hot, but not quite.  Perfect weather.  She said "You will love my oranges; these are some of the older oranges--really sweet."   She cut the end off of an orange and said, "Just try this."

There, just outside of Deland , FL, I took a bite of a perfect orange, not too sweet, not too tart, just so perfect there were no words.  Instead, I proceeded to consume that orange, that sweet juicy orange in
that perfectly warm sunshine.  The juice ran down my face and dripped onto my tee shirt.  I did not care.
I was caught in the perfection of moment and was totally living completely in that moment.

Even today, that moment so many years is captured perfectly within my mind.  Perfect moments occur
when we are paying attention.  This fast-paced society races through everything, always busy and for what.  They are missing their moments, lost to distractions, worries--the list is endless.  Perfect moments come to waiting minds, and I spend a lot of time waiting for such moments to occur again.  And they do.  My life is full of those moments of transformation.  All the moments and situations that caused those moments are relished, savored, and treasured.

Kate Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment