Monday, June 27, 2011

Loving Life and Mindfulness

I love life--all of it,not just some of it.  I love the birds as
they sing their morning songs and wake me up.  I love
trees, flowers, green grass.  I love storms, rain, and
snow.

So I just love life. And one of my writer acquaintainces
recently died  suddenly of Lou Gehrig's diease. He had about
three weeks from diagnosis to death--which is unusually fast.
Another writer friend posted some links to his site--and he
had become a Buddhist in recent years.  A vegetarian.
And he wrote that on his last physical that his doctor said
his vegetarian diet had lowered his blood pressure and
reduced his cholesterol level.  He remarked that he felt
the best he ever had.

That was the first spark, because I really do not even
like meat.  Once in a great while I will actually enjoy it,
but I had rather have salads, pasta, and veggies.

The second spark was from my daughter--it was more
of a fire really.  She related a story of helping her
husband kill some roosters--for the feathers to use
in crafting flies for fly-fishing.  I flew hot then. To kill
needlessly, cruelly, with no thought for the creature--
well, I was furious.  And she claims to be a vege-
tarian.  She is just a picky eater--no true vege-
tarian would take part in such an act.  And suddenly,
I knew I was giving up meat and becoming an herb-
ivore.

I have been reading quotes from Zen sites.  Three,
in particular resonated within me. I will share them
here:

1--"Love is, above all, the gift of oneself."--Anouith

2--"My life is a series of defining moments."

3--"Miracles take us beyond the limitations of our
      thinking."

Thus far, those are so very applicable to my life.  It
has been a roller coaster ride at times, but a very
definite adventure in learning.  Miracles are words
to some people; I have seen then throughout my
nursing career.  These events have changed my
viewpoints, my philosophy of myself and of my life.


Kate Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment